Thursday, January 13, 2011

Signing Off

I had been feeling frustrated with Taunt and yesterday I think I figured out why.  It's supposed to be a novella and I had written a drawn out novel to "win" NaNoWriMo so I had some great chapters that were fun to write but didn't add to or carry along the plot.  I realised I had to cut my favourite chapter (oh, how it hurt) and go in a different, more condensed direction.  I sat down with a pen and paper to scribble down a detail I had forgotten in the first chapter and ended up re-writing the entire outline of the story.  Take that ROW80 goals!

I'm feeling good about it and I think I'm back in business but I've been so tired today that I've spent most of the day fluting about the Internet.  I need to concentrate on fixing Taunt and work some more on editing Verity, which reads like it was written by a 12 year old.  I don't even know where to start on Verity - yes, it's that bad.  I need help.  Lots and lots of help. 

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I'll finish Taunt this round.  (Did I mention I figured it out?  Can you hear the angel choir?)  Although I won't if I keep getting distracted online so I'm taking myself offline for a bit.  Not completely but I'm definitely cutting down - apart from my ROW80 commitments.

So I'm officially taking a step back until I have something to show for it.  For real.  I mean it.  If you happen to see me skulking in forums then send me home.  Kick me off Facebook.  No Twitter.  I shall work hard this week.  If I can't work for some reason then I shall read.  And maybe even finish a book this month.  Yeah, sounds like a plan.  Until Sunday, then I have to read everyone's check ins.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. LOL @ "Take that ROW80 goals!" I understand the stepping back. For me, it helps. I'll see you on Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright! Taunt is back on track! Makes my day. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, sometimes it's too hard to resist wasting time online so switching off is the best way for me to start concentrating and not worrying what the rest of the world is up to.

    And thanks Andrew, you're very kind. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say.