Thursday, October 7, 2010

In the News

Barnes & Noble are now allowing authors/publishers to upload their ebooks directly through their website so using a distributor is no longer necessary.  It's invitation only but isn't as superior as it sounds because all you do is request an invite.  I received mine at the weekend, maybe a day after I signed up.  I was interested in finding out how it works but they require a U.S. bank account amongst other things.  When they finally get into the right decade, I'll take a look at it but for now, I'm all meh about it.

In relation to Barnes & Noble. They, along with Kobo, have a habit of discounting people's ebooks.  Then Amazon either price match or delist.  (The free indie books are no longer free and authors are still waiting to see if Amazon issue some sort of statement about it.)  I don't want to be delisted so highered my prices on Smashwords which in turn will raise the prices on all of the distributed sites.  Eventually.  I feel guilty about this so issued more free discount codes for Smashwords.  I've always had free discount codes flying around but these ones are valid for another year in case I forget.  They can be found along with links to Smashwords and other sites in the tabbed pages under the blog title.

Also, good news for those who are actually selling ebooks on Amazon.co.uk.  They are rolling out the 70% royalty rate over there too.  I'm not sure how much of an impact it will make right now but at least it will already be in place when sales pick up in the UK.  I reckon this time next year will have seen substantial growth, especially if ereaders go down in price again.

It's almost Nanowrimo time and as usual I have no idea what I'm going to do.  It's thrilling, I tells ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to have your say.