Tuesday, December 28, 2010

ROW80 - Round One Writing Goals

It's time to list my goals for A Round of Words in 80 Days.  I've been thinking a lot about what needs to be done next year and what I'm capable of producing.  NaNoWriMo was a bit of a struggle this year and I've had some new ideas for the rough (oh, so rough) draft I wrote.  I need to get my y/a novel out of my way this year - seriously, it's been hanging around for way too long, I have to get it working or dump it.  I'd like to fully plot the third book in my Ava Delaney series.  Short stories are a minor priority.  To follow are my ROW80 goals:

Major Goals

  • Write 500 words a day, Monday to Friday (at least)
  • Write 2,500 words a week (at least)
  • Edit the y/a novel (without clawing my eyes out)
  • Write one short story a month
  • Replot Taunt
  • Rewrite first draft of Taunt

Minor Goals (if major goals are completed)

  • Plot Tempt
  • Plot sequel to y/a
  • Begin first draft of Tempt
  • Finish first draft of fae novel
It's the first round, I'm not sure what I can do in that time but I like having a plan.  My priority for 2011 is to write as much as possible.  I would love to complete a number of first drafts before I go into the editing stages of Taunt.  I'm not aiming to publish anything until the end of the year but if I can manage it, I will have something out there sooner.  At the very least, by the end of Round One, I'll have a better idea of what I'm capable of.

If you would like to check out other people's (less waffley) goals then please click here.

20 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals I hope you accomplish them, I have two books I want to finish for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something long, I hope. ;)

    Thanks Kipp, same to you - I'm excited for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your goals during this first round. I like having a plan, too. Definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cate, sticking to the plan will be the biggest achievement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your first round goals. I'm joining in on the row80 as well and looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck with your goals Claire! ROW80 should be a good boost for all of us with our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, a KBer! Thanks Jason and same to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of stockpiling first drafts. :) Editing is a chore for me also, so putting some writing in between definitely helps keep me from "clawing my eyes out." Good luck with ROW80!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reena, I really need that space in between - editing is my least favourite part of the job. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck! Love that you have major and minor goals.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a plan! My focus will be on editing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't envy you on the editing - round two will probably focus on editing for me and I'm already dreading it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm dreading it too...lol. I think it's the challenge that has me so excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully the challenge will keep us all going. If I just decided to write every day, I would get bored and slack off - now I have to publicly beat myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, there isn't anything wrong with "waffley" goals! As I keep saying to all my fellow ROW-ers (and to myself, as I have the tendency to count any deviation from The Plan as a Major Failure), part of the beauty of this writing challenge is its flexibility. Even if you have to adjust your goals each week, that's 100% okay! ROW80 knows you have a life, and so do we. *hugs*

    Good luck to you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, thank you. Beautiful name btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say.