Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Reading Resolutions 2011

I like hearing about other people's reading resolutions and, because next year is a busy one and might involve forgetting to read, I thought I would establish a few reading resolutions for myself.

I need to pare down my TBR list because it is freaking me out.  I need to stop flitting from one device to another (sony ereader, kindle to pc, android) because I'm leaving a trail of half-read books in my wake.  I keep forgetting what book I'm on and starting another.  I'd like to read some classics because I haven't looked at one (aside from Jane Eyre of course) this year.  Most of all, I want to make sure writing, and all the crap that comes with it, doesn't take up all of my reading time.  Also, I need to chill out on the spending.  I don't really need to buy ten books a week when I already have hundreds that I haven't read yet. 


Reading Resolutions 2011

  • I must read five books (of any length) before I'm allowed to buy one.  (Eek!)
  • I must read at least five classics throughout the year.  (Tolstoy totally counts as a double).
  • I must not have more than three books on the go at once.  (Maybe I should change that to five to fit the theme that seems to have popped up here).
  • I must read for at least five minutes every day.  (Possibly).
  • I must read at least fifty (novel length) books next year.  (I can see a lot of nice, short y/a novels being crammed into next December).

6 comments:

  1. I have the same problem reading to many books all at once, good thing I have only one device lol, and yes the one click button is so hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is, this time last year you couldn't have paid me to read an ebook and now I can't even imagine buying a paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list. I think the reading 5 before buying 1 would be the hardest for me...although I do like to read 3 books at a time too.

    What if we just gifted each other with books? Does that count? (I'm always trying to find a way to work around the rules don't ya know! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol @ Stacey - I posted this, felt a little sick and then thought screw it, I'll figure out a loophole before then. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reading goals. I've already decided to have a buying ban as of jan 1st in order to whittle down my huge pile of books. I joined a few challenges that will help me do so. I know I'll be reading a few classics like Anna Karenina and some of Jane Austen's stories. Come join my Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge. It will help you reach your 50 books goals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I hadn't really thought of it as a book a week. That sounds a lot scarier. :/ LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to have your say.